History of the M.G. Car Club of Toronto Inc.

In 1930 a club was started by a group of MG enthusiasts which soon came to be sanctioned by the then new MG Car Company Ltd. The name of this club was simply and appropriately the M.G. Car Club Limited. The underlying mandate was to bring together owners and enthusiasts to share activities and camaraderie with other enthusiasts of these wonderful MG cars.

The Toronto Chapter of the MG Car Club, known as MGCCT, was started by two MG TD owners, Bill Moffat and Michael Hunt. Both were members of the British Empire Motor Club (BEMC). In June 1955, with the help of Morris Motors, a tent was set up at Edenvale, Ontario, an abandoned airfield used for organised sports car races. By the end of 1955, the Club had 61 signed-up members.

The first meeting took place in Morris Motor’s premises on Bloor Street East, near Church Street. We were fortunate in getting Don Hambly as rally chairman, Gordon Lilley as secretary, Michael Hunt as treasurer, Bill Moffat as vice-president and George Mulligan as our first president (he happened to be a friend of the President of Morris Motors).

Over the next 60 plus years our club evolved from being primarily involved in motorsports to a combination of rallying, touring and technical activities, reflecting the changing lifestyles and interests of our members.

Currently our membership stands at over 300 people, representing about 350 MG cars. While most of our members drive MGB’s, many own and drive much older cars and some are lucky enough to have a pre-war MG in their garage. The M.G. Car Club of Toronto is a multi model MG club.

The Club has thrice been awarded the prestigious Nuffield Cup, first in 1992, then again in 2005 and most recently in 2016 and has also been honoured to host the North American MGB Register’s annual convention on three occassions, in 1992 and again in 2010 and 2015.